Saturday, March 1, 2014

raw and real


don't know what it is about this place - Africa in general.
Jinja and Ethiopia are so different, but there is one thing they share without a doubt.
something about these places just draw me closer to the Lord.
i am realizing how dependent i am on the known- how safe and comfortable home has become and i have lost sight of how much i really, really need Jesus. 
every morning i wake excited for the day. (almost every day) i reach a breaking point where i just feeling like giving up and going home. every time we drive through a village and i see poverty, my heart aches. when i hear yet another story of pain, suffering, loss and then the praising of Jesus's name - i can't help but drop my jaw in awe. everything here is so simple and raw and alive.
my soul feels exposed here; and even though it is sometimes painful and puts me in a vulnerable place, i love it! i love being real with people and having meaningful, heartfelt conversations about life and the life to come. i love feeling hurt and alone and running into the arms of my heavenly Father. i love spending day after day with children who love Jesus. i love getting covered in dirt and sweat and have learned to deeply appreciate a shower at the end of the day. i love being so completely busy during the day that i can't catch my breath. i love having nothing to do and nowhere to be and simply reading through the Scriptures for a few hours every night.
it's in these times when i am closest to my Savior. when nothing else matters. nothing. Jesus is my everything and my life belongs to Him. and it's in these moments when all my fears and concerns for my future fade away - and all i can see is God's provision and His mercies covering me all the days of my life. 
a huge thank you to every single one of you who helped me get here- i believe in the power of prayer and how God loves it when we talk to Him! He hears us and answers. and right now this is my answer- to trust in Him! to let go and live in the here and now and keep my eyes fixed on Jesus! everything else will follow. 

do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication make your requests be made known to God, and the peace that surpasses all understanding will gaurd your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. so whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. what you have learned and received and heard and seen- practice these things and the God of peace will be with you. Philippians 4:6-9

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog Marilynn! I was wondering, how did you get into all of this? I am interested in missions work in Africa as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you so much!!! i really love to hear that my followers enjoy reading my posts and it's so great you are interested in mission work! i found out about HEAL Ministries through hearing from the director, Tina Weir. honestly, God planted in my heart the desire to teach here at the James' Place and money poured in from various supporters for the travelling and room/board expenses. so here i am :) i would highly recommend looking into HEAL's summer mission trips or even an internship (healministries.org)! OR there is Ordinary Hero (ordinaryhero.org) that does some awesome work in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia....i will most likely be serving with them in a few months and possibly be there through this fall. if you have ANY questions please feel free to ask me. i love that you're interested in this - let me tell you....being in Africa serving in Jesus's name will radically change your life forever!!!

    ReplyDelete